Monday 30 September 2019

How To Shop For Luxury Fashion - A Cheats Guide

Picture this - your favourite fashion influencer posts an OOTD pic on Instagram, you tap the image longing for the item to be from Zara or H&M so that you yourself can afford it...but alas it turns out to be yet another designer item that costs the earth. If you are tired of seeing influencers living a luxury lifestyle, dressed head to toe in designer pieces which you can only dream of owning... Well think again, you CAN own these items...and on a budget too!

Ok so you've probably seen countless youtubers filming videos about how they shop for designer items at a more affordable price, aside from the hefty press discount, they will most likely mention pre-loved selling sites such as Vestiaire Collective. Whilst such a site is particularly great for buying coveted archive pieces, for most people this is still not a realistic 'affordable' option. 

If you didn't already know I work in the fashion industry, and my background is in textiles, so I'd like to think I know a thing or two about this sector. Because of the industry I work in, I have a deep rooted interest in fashion brands and catwalk trends. When I was younger I would shop the highstreet for affordable versions of the runway looks, but as I have gotten older - I want the real thing. Nowadays around 70% of my clothes are designer, and none of them were purchased brand new. So how do I do it?


Charity Shops / Thrift Shops
My happy place! Charity shops (as they are called here in the UK) are like a mecca to me. It baffles me that people would be happy to shop for pre-loved designer items online (at sites such as the aforementioned Vestiaire) and yet they wouldn't step foot in a charity shop. To me there is no difference. If you are still of the notion that secondhand stores are full of tired looking clothing that has seen better days, then think again. Many charity shops are really upping their game when it comes to in store POS displays, layouts, colour coordination, curated rails of premium pieces etc. And it is from charity shops that I find most of my designer bargains. 
They key to shopping in charity shops, is knowing your brands. It's crucial to have a broad knowledge of designer brands, both high end and entry level, as well as knowing the names of emerging brands. If you don't have a good knowledge of brands, how will you be able to spot them? Now when I shop in secondhand stores, i'm looking for a real bargain - we're talking under £15 (I'll occasionally push the boat out if it is something pretty special). Usually if I spot a designer item, I will google on my phone an estimated RRP, so I can see how much the item was originally. 
One thing that I do ensure, if that whatever I buy I have to love it. It's easy to get lured in by designer labels at a low price, but I only make a purchase if the item is true to my style and will perfectly sit alongside items I already own.  
Many retailers actually have nominated charities, which they will donate stock to. On one occasion, in New York,  there was an entire section of a thrift store specifically for Theory clothing - the brand had made a large donation to the store of tailored jackets and trousers.
And talking of New York, there are some amazing warehouse style thrift stores in NY: Salvation Army, Housing Works, Goodwill Industries (the latter of which have coloured tickets on the garments, and each week a different coloured ticket is 50% off)
Purchases include:
Wales Bonner track pants - £6.50 (RRP £375)
Paige denim jeans - £15 (approx £200)
Rag and Bone jeans - £4 (approx £200)
Ganni shirt - £7.50 (approx £140)
Lululemon gym leggings - £4.50 (approx £100)
Nina Ricci silk top - £8 (approx £800)
Equipment silk shirt x 2 - £5 and £1 (approx £280 each)
Alice and Olivia Skirt - £5 (approx £300)
P.E Nation gym leggings - £6.50 (approx £140)
Marc by Marc Jacobs silk dress - £30 (approx £400)
Kooples skirt - £1 (approx £150)
Stella McCartney x Adidas running jacket - £7 (approx £150)

Sample Sales
Most sample sales are well organised, often hosted by PR agencies, so you know you are getting a genuine designer item. Most are free to attend, but may have a charity donation box upon arrival (so be sure to have some loose change with you). As all sales are final, I would advise trying pieces on whilst you are there. Changing rooms are often just a communal space in the corner of the room, covered by a curtain. Don't be afraid to strip off down to your underwear, everyone else is doing it. It's better to be safe then sorry, you don't want to get home and realise the item doesn't fit and and can't be returned. 
My first foray into samples sales came when I was living in New York back in 2012. I came across a Tibi sample sale, and being a brand that I really liked, I ventured in. I bagged myself a pair of black leather boots for $40 (the RRP was $475). I couldn't believe it. They even came fully boxed and with the dust bag. I still have them to this day. Fast-forward and I am now living in London, where there are sample sales happening all the time. I'm fortunate that I work in Shoreditch which is somewhat of a haven for sample sales, many of which are only a short walk from my office. Some sample sales run for between 1 - 3 days. Whilst attending on the first day there is more stock to choose from, the final day may see further reductions on remaining stock. Also worth noting, is that most sample sales require that you leave coats and bags in a supervised clock room. This is to stop theft, as the items no longer have active barcodes. Samples sales I have attended include: Victoria Beckham, Ellery, Christopher Kane, Sophia Webster, Axel Arigato
Websites with sample sale listings: Curate, Chicmi, Fashion Tribe, SampleSaleGuide.co.uk, 
Purchases include:
Victoria Beckham jeans - £25 (RRP between £185 - £250)
Balmain velvet skirt - £199 (RRP £1350 - it still had the original tag on)
Christopher Kane mini skirts x 3 - £5 each (approx £400 each)

TK Maxx
I head straight to the clearance section and hunt down the designer items. Granted that each TK Maxx store is different, some I have visited have a very limited designer section whilst others have a great offering. With TK Maxx you really do need to be prepared to spend your time looking through each rail, as often the clothes are packed tightly together and therefore a gem of an item can get lost amongst a sea of not so nice clothes. I never go into store looking for anything in particular, I just keep an open mind and hope for the best. Having said that, there are a list of brands I do always keep an eye out for.
Purchases include:
Givenchy 'star print' silk scarf - £30 (approx £300)
Isabel Marant SS17 skirt - £54 (approx £450)
MeMe London 18k gold plated earrings x 2 pairs - £9.99 each (RRP £120)

End of Season Sales - the final few days
Lets be honest, we shop because we want to and not because we need to. Which is why when it comes to sale shopping, I shop in the final few days when the reductions are at their highest. I may look online (usually The Outnet and Farfetch) when the sale goes live, and I'll take note of which pieces I like. I then check back in towards the end of the sale and if the item is still there, and reduced even further, then I may treat myself. Most recently I treated myself to a Rockins skinny scarf for £50, reduced from £185. My first designer sale purchase was on Net-A-Porter whilst I was still at university, when I managed to get myself a 100% silk Matthew Williamson scarf for £22 (I think it had been around £150). Matthew Williamson was my favourite fashion brand for well over a decade, so to get my hands on this scarf was a real treat. 

Designer Consignment Stores
Just because someone can afford designer items, doesn't mean they don't want to make a bit of money back when they decide they no longer want the item - cue designer consignment stores. You can take in the items you want to sell, and whatever price the store sells the item for you get around 50% of the money. Items may be kept for around 2 months, and then if not sold the seller gets the item back. Most of these stores are very particular about only accepting items that are in good condition, so you know that you getting a garment that is in a wearable state. Like regualar shops, these consignment stores very often have sale rales - so even better bargains to have. If there is something in particular you are looking for (i.e a specific handbag) or a brand that you really love,  you can usually leave your contact information with the store owner who will reach out to you if an item you are looking for comes into the store.

Phillippa x

Pinterest - phillippadesign
Twitter - @phillippa22
Instagram - phillippa22

No comments:

Post a Comment