Sunday 28 June 2015

New Designers 2015 - Review

Each year without fail June seems to come around so quickly, and for me this particular month always reminds me of how far I have come in my career since I graduated in June 2012. After completing my degree I was selected to exhibit at New Designers in London, followed by a 3 month stint living and interning in New York, I then returned to the UK and moved to London to start my first graduate job in the fashion industry.
I always like to go back to New Designers, which takes place at the Business Design Centre in Islington, to see the new graduates work and catch up with my University tutors. As a direct result of exhibiting at New Designers my work was featured on WGSN, Lin Morris and Amelia's Magazine - as a graduate it was so exciting to see my work being written about online. I decided to select some of my favourite work from this year's New Designers and share it with you, I hope all the designers enjoy this little feature on my blog.
Jessica Neville
Entitled 'Midnight Paradise' the use of colour in this collection is so on point! I found this collection be rich and sophisticated, and a strong drawing ability was clear to see meaning these designs have a real commercial potential. Also, can we just take a minute to appreciate how beautiful the  hummingbird painting is!
Izzy Dryburgh
The first thing that caught my eye about this 'Captured Nature' collection, was the juxtaposition between geometric shapes and floral forms. This interesting concept made for a great contemporary interiors collection. The bird and butterfly illustrations were exceptionally well drawn.
Rose Dufton
Eye-catching tropicals in a vibrant colour palette. I can really see these prints working well on silk scarves. I have noticed a lot of teal coming through from the new Resort 16 collections, so the teal passionflower print would work well for the coming season.
Victoria Heslop
I loved the experimental approach to textiles in this collection. Using a mix of traditional screen printing techniques along with digital elements, created a very striking collection. The brushstrokes and mark making led to interesting textures, and the layering of colour was strong.
Jessica Pickard
Inspired by the Islands of Penang and Lemnos, the drawings in this collection were highly detailed and realistic. The tile print was my favourite, the simplicity of the 2 colour print made a nice contrast against the other more intense prints in the collection.
Alice Greaves
My favourite childrenswear collection, as seen at New Designers, the garments were made using organic fabrics and water-based printing pigments. This was a collection of highly sophisticated conversational prints, with personal meaning behind the concept. I feel this collection offers something new to the target market.
Heather Riches
A highly commercial collection which would be perfect for childrenswear or the card and gift market. A fun and playful colour palette was very refreshing to see and perfectly complemented the theme.
 
Did you visit New Designers this year? If so, which designer caught your eye?
 
Phillippa x
 
Twitter - @Phillippa22
Pinterest - phillippadesign
Instagram - PhillippaDesign22
 




No comments:

Post a Comment