Wednesday 5 December 2012

New York - Trim Shops


During my 3 month stay in New York I discovered alot of superb antique shops, markets, trim stores and boutique fashion and interior shops. I thought I would share with you a few of my favourites.

The Garment District
New York is one of the fashion capitols of the world so you really are spoilt for choice when it comes to sourcing fabrics and trims. The area between 34th and 42nd street between 5th and 9th Avenue is commonly known as the Garment District. (7th Avenue is referred to as 'Fashion Avenue'). When visiting New York be sure to thoroughly explore this area. You will find an abundance of exciting design shops; just make sure you allow enough time to look around as these stores have so much to offer and you might find that perfect trim that you have been looking for. This neighbourhood is also home to the design studio's of some of the worlds best loved fashion designers. Expect to see rails of designer clothes being pushed along the streets!! If you visit at certain times of the year then you might be lucky enough to be in town when one of your favourite designers is having a sample sale - think Alexander Wang, Anna Sui and Tibi, etc. I got some real bargains!!!

Trim Stores
Shindo is the most wonderful ribbon shop I have ever seen. Located on 36th street between 7th and Broadway, it houses luxury ribbons and trims in all different textures, colours and widths. The staff are very friendly and they are always more than happy to help you find exactly what you are looking for. Whilst waiting to collect an order there is always a great selection of reading material available including: Bullett Magazine and the latest trend reports.
Nearby is M&J Trimming on 6th Ave between 37th and 38th. This huge store not only offers a wide selection of ribbons, but also: beads, sequins, and buttons. I prefer Shindo for higher quality ribbon but at M&J you will still find what you are looking for at a slightly lower price point.
Mood fabrics on 37th between 7th and 8th is a large fabric store, which you have may have seen on TV shows such as Project Runway. Small swatches of the fabrics are available, which is great if you like me don't want to buy any particular fabrics but just want swatches for inspiration.
Other stores worth mentioning include: Sil Thread, Pacific Trimming, Toho Shoji and Bead World.

In my next blog post I will be sharing with you some of my favourite antique shops and markets I found in NYC.

Phillippa x

No comments:

Post a Comment