Tuesday 16 November 2010

'Roma' Furnishing Fabrics - Bradford Textile Society

Inspiration - Gypsy caravan(photographed at Glastonbury festival), antique jewlerry, birdcages, flowers, fairground carousel horses, china cups, butterflys, Russian dolls.




Research Drawing Sheets - Drawings from primary sources - items I had collected and photographed myself. Exploring a variety of media and compositions.





Final Repeat Furnishing Design - I produced 5 black and white photocopied layouts, and from there I chose this one as my favourite. I then painted it out in repeat. Layout - 'Full Repeat'



Screen Prints - Colour Separations
- After producing four A2 colour separation KodaTrace layouts, I exposed my silk screen, then I was ready to print. Printing pigments were mixed in the dye lab. Printing techniques used: opaque, metallic, flock, foil. Each individual part of my design had to be painstakingly screen printed. The first print is a replica of my final design and took 2 days to complete.




I feel I have successfully combined traditional (caravan, birdcage, house), with contemporary (florals and butterfly's). For my market research I looked at companies including: Svenskt Tenn, Bokja design, Moroso, Cole and Son, Designers Guild and Manuel Canovas. I see my design furnishing a room in a period town house, with contemporary features. I recieved a 1st for this project. This work has been entered in the Bradford Textile Society competition.
Phillippa x

No comments:

Post a Comment